Sónia lives with her family in rural Portugal, having embraced a major lifestyle change a few years ago. She and her husband closed down their veterinary service in the city, bought a farm, lots of animals therein, and packed up their three kids for a life of homesteading, home-schooling, and sustainability.
Not only that, but to help sustain themselves and pay the bills, Sónia also took up remote virtual assistant-style work, yet another thing to juggle at the same time.
This remarkable journey has brought them a life of contentment and perspective, intertwined with the busyness and demands of a working farm. The kids have been thriving, and everyone feels far more in tune with nature.
Sónia joins Vanessa and Ted for a conversation about how they’ve done it, why they made such a bold choice, and what they’ve learned from doing so.
All of our episodes can be streamed here. Or you can find and subscribe to the show on your favourite podcast app.
You’re about to Learn…
- What life was like before the farm: on-call as a 24 hour veterinarian.
- How they tackled a big decision: either leave everything behind, start from scratch and move to the country, or stay stuck in the hustle and exhaustion of a city lifestyle and demanding careers.
- How home schooling has helped feed her kids’ curiosity and zest for learning.
- How to balance homesteading, home schooling, parenting, and virtual assistance work, all at the same time!
- “If something needs to be adjusted, we’ll adjust. We’re multipods, we can do anything!”
Resources Mentioned in This Episode
- Sonia’s Puttyverse profile
- Sonia’s blog, tracing a bit of her history
- Thomas_P’s Puttyverse profile
- Thomas on Instagram
- Thomas’ artwork store
- Annie’s Puttyverse profile
- Into The Bold, Annie’s business
- Into The Bold, on Instagram
- Susan’s Puttyverse profile
- https://abbottresearch.com/ https://thinkglobalqualitative.com/susan-g-abbott/ A couple of Susan’s business consulting and research websites
- Susan on Twitter and Instagram